Question: What is it like to work in a national lab?September 30th, 2010
Quick question…well, questions…
What is it like to work as a Ph.D. chemist in a national lab?
- How are chemists organized? In research groups? Where do you start out as a Ph.D.?
- How much leeway do you get in deciding what problems to work on?
- Do you apply for grants? How does it compare to academia in this regard?
- Are you staffed with B.S./M.S. chemists?
- How are the facilities/instrumentation (in general)?
- What kind of working hours do people usually keep?
- Are you required to publish?
- Are you ever prevented from publishing?
- How are IP issues handled?
- How is performance evaluated?
- Do you get to go to conferences often?
- How does the salary measure up?
- What things are particularly good and bad about the job?