ChemBark Monthly!

November 12th, 2007

Happy Veterans’ Day, Gentlepersons.  Here are some items for your consumption:

– I recently registered for the Spring ACS National Meeting in New Orleans.  My talk will probably be the worst disaster to hit the city since…uhhh…nevermind.  In all seriousness, I look forward to the four days of wall-to-wall chemistry, since I really didn’t get the chance to consume that much in Boston.  It will also be interesting to see what’s going on with the reconstruction efforts following Katrina.  I assume that all of the debaucherous elements of the city will have been restored by April.  Is anyone else going?

–  The Crimson got to this story about a month late.  Someone’s moving to MIT…or not (?)  I really don’t get why there is any confusion here; the people being quoted are seemingly the ones who should know exactly what’s going on.

–  Later this week, Prof. Dr. E.J. Corey will sell and sign copies of his newest book in Harvard’s historic chemistry library.  I wonder if he’ll take personal requests.  “Professor Corey, could you please make this one out to ‘the greatest chemist of all time’?  Thanks.”

–  Retread has passed along the next installment of his Rip Van Winkle series, and I shall post it in short order.

Thanks for reading,
Rudy Paul

1. Jean-Claude Bradley Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 9:39 am I’ll be there – hopefully some of the chemistry bloggers will get together
  2. Ψ*Ψ Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 9:49 am Sadly, my group doesn’t really do conferences. Wish I were going!
    November 12th, 2007 at 11:34 am From my end, it seems that Harvard has a serious problem with training young faculty and most of its top professors came from other institutions (Whitesides and Walsh from MIT, Evans from Caltech, Schreiber from Yale, Jacobsen from Illinois, etc). I suppose it’s only fitting that now top faculty are starting to leave.
  4. Lightsyde Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 1:43 pm oh come on now. Let’s not forget DRL.
  5. Wavefunction Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 2:17 pm I was going to go, but it turns out that as I proceed longer into my research, I would rather attend specialized conferences dealing more directly with my work. So I very reluctantly had to forgo ACS Spring for others.
    November 12th, 2007 at 2:21 pm I’d go but only people who have…. what’s that word again? results? get to go from my group.
  7. milkshake Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 6:05 pm I wonder if it was more money, more space at MIT or if he also made himself unpopular among the faculty at H.
  8. accurate Says:
    November 12th, 2007 at 10:15 pm According to the Crimson: “The team now includes organic chemists Stephen L. Buchwald, Gregory C. Fu, Rick L. Danheiser, Timothy F. Jamison, and Mohammad Movassaghi”…
    Funny thing is, Greg Fu is leaving for Princeton ! Lots of weird moves down there !
  9. Anonymous Says:
    November 13th, 2007 at 10:37 am Greg isn’t moving to Princeton. Period.
  10. slanderer Says:
    November 13th, 2007 at 10:45 pm Can any conspiracy theorist out there make a connection with http://blog.chembark.com/2007/…..ed-issues/
  11. Nick Says:
    November 14th, 2007 at 2:35 am #3
    You can add Lieber (Columbia), Holm (Stanford) and Myers (Caltech) to that list. However, MIT is equally renowed for this kind of behavior – Nocera (MSU), Lippard (Columbia), Peters (Caltech), Swager (Penn) and Imperiali (Caltech) were all transferred in.
  12. Frigin EJ Says:
    November 14th, 2007 at 8:19 pm Nobody can rise to the top at Harvard until friggin EJ and George are there.
  13. Herman Blume Says:
    November 14th, 2007 at 9:49 pm EJ?!?! I would rather have Evans or Jacobsen and considering Dave’s girth, Eric is a better steal. I was at an ACS conference talking to one of my friends when an ambulance drove by, my friend said “I didn’t know Dave Evans was in town.” I replied “No dave’s not here, but Danishefsky is giving his talk in a few minutes.” We laughed and laughed, and then went drinking.Herman
  14. Anonymous Says:
    November 15th, 2007 at 9:01 am that’s so…..wrong
  15. JSinger Says:
    November 15th, 2007 at 5:32 pm It will also be interesting to see what’s going on with the reconstruction efforts following Katrina. I assume that all of the debaucherous elements of the city will have been restored by April.They had them up and running over a year ago. Residential areas are still a wreck but they (controversially, although I’d say wisely) got the revenue producers going again as soon as possible.
  16. Dog Wolf Says:
    November 16th, 2007 at 12:14 pm will only wave his tail
  17. Knuckler Says:
    November 16th, 2007 at 9:01 pm #11: This type of behavior is commonplace at every top department. MIT has a counter-example of Cummins, Fu, and Buchwald. Cummins and Fu even have degrees from the place.The poaching of talent into the top departments is more a consequence of the inefficiency in evaluating candidates at the assistant professor level. Then again, it has to be quite difficult to pick out the superstars from the very good at that stage.
  18. Mitch Says:
    November 22nd, 2007 at 6:40 am I’ll be there as well.Mitch
  19. Really Not a Fan Says:
    November 22nd, 2007 at 5:14 pm We find Donna Blackmond embroiled in yet another dispute in the very antagonistic field of organocatalysis. Today’s new articles to be published in Chemistry: A European Journal brings another point-counterpoint from her and a different professor.I am sure of one thing, I would not want to be a renter behind in my rent if Donna was my landlord.
  20. Sir Kyl de Fincksigmat Says:
    November 28th, 2007 at 1:21 pm Ich shall naught be there, for the dystance from myne hoose to that of Neu Ourleins is graat and myne purse has naught for coinage. Also Ich haue naught made ACS worthile progres upon myne alchemy, but rather Ich haue been ‘jumpt’ by mine advysr from oon project unto the next withoot regard for mine thesys nor mine futur. Ich haue gret y-hopes of joy for ye, Paul. May the lord Jesu bless thee and may thee not mayk the urine in thyne trousers whenst the tyme come.
  21. Wavefunction Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 4:46 pm testing viability of blog
  22. Sir Wolf Says:
    January 28th, 2008 at 7:59 pm We honestly do not know whether our prior installments have been sucessful. Although it may seem that there has not been much progress during three fortnights, it could be good for our sleep to know what finally happened.if not, fuck up and go to hell, this is where Sames and you belong
  23. Dog Wolf Says:
    February 2nd, 2008 at 8:05 pm Selber Schuld, wenn mer andauernd so ‘nen Blödsinn schreibt, und seine verdammten Harvard-Theorien nie in der Wirklichkeit überprüftlern Deutsch, Paul, es kann genauso nützlich sein wie Chinesisch
  24. W Says:
    February 26th, 2008 at 5:31 pm anything to add, or any ACS pubs to prove anything better ?regards, Mephisto