I Think I’ll Go to Boston…

March 16th, 2007

A few people have already mentioned that they plan to be in Boston this August for the ACS National Meeting.

Question 1: Are you going?

Question 2: Would you be interested in attending a BBQ at ChemBark Corporate Headquarters? It’s a five minute walk from the Harvard T (Boston’s version of the subway/Metro/Tube/El/BART/MARTA).

Other options would also work, like going to happy hour at a downtown bar, putting together a team for a pub quiz, or staying up for an all-night game of poker. I suppose we could even develop a creepy scavenger hunt where you have to trek around Boston restaurants taking digital pictures of famous chemists eating dinner. There’d be a point system: Nobel Laureates = 10, Priestley Medalists = 7, tenured professors at top 10 schools = 3, etc.

Post your thoughts in the comments. You needn’t use your real name…yet. Depending on what goes down, some form of RSVP might be in order. We don’t want a disgruntled copy editor from ACS Pubs to come heavy and spray the place with bullets. Also, I’d prefer that the Czech mafia not use this event as an opportunity to whack me.

And whatever you do, don’t start dropping hints that you need a place to stay; I’m very particular about the people I allow to sleepover at the Dawghouse.

1. Mitch Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 3:36 am BBQ sounds fine. Assuming beer is involved though.

Mitch

March 16th, 2007 at 3:47 am Naturally. What’s a BBQ without Pabst Blue Ribbon?
  3. Stu Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 7:49 am As endorsed by a Nobel laureate
    March 16th, 2007 at 9:03 am Stu, that pic is awesome. I’ll try and make it to Boston ACS.
  5. eugene Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 11:23 am Yeah, I’d like to officially RSVP. But, I don’t know about beer. Can we have BBQ and some sort of fine wine with it as well? I find meat goes down better with wine; we could get some Argentinian Mendoza wine if there is lots of meat. After all, it’s better for your health to drink wine instead of beer. And if we replace meat by grilled tofu or veggie burgers (or we could make sushi), that would really be health conscious and we could work in a Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic with lime.

Well, I’m just throwing out some ideas…

6. Hap Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 11:39 am I get to go to a meeting (usually ACS) once every three years, and this isn’t one of them. I have to go to my sister’s daughter’s baptism in a month or so, anyway.
  7. Ψ*Ψ Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 11:45 am As of now I don’t think I’m going. If that changes, I’d definitely be up for any of the above.
  8. Quantumburrito Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 1:43 pm I am going. Would be groovy to meet up with everyone chemical.
    March 16th, 2007 at 3:15 pm ψ*ψ is going if I have to drag her feet-first from her lab. Swear to god.
  10. Ψ*Ψ Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 4:21 pm Careful–someone might start dragging me back.
    March 16th, 2007 at 4:41 pm Do y’all work for the same advisor?
  12. Georgy Boy Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 4:50 pm I am going only if Whitesides is giving a talk.
  13. Ψ*Ψ Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 5:07 pm Excimer and me? We’ve actually never met.
  14. milkshake Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 6:42 pm I am probably not going but a great fun postdoc guy from Sweeden whom I share office with is going – so can I send him to your BBQ, as a milkshake substitute?
  15. eugene Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 7:06 pm That’s probably for the best milkshake. We don’t want Paul being too worried with Slavic accents around (especially Czech). I’m sure a Nordic sounding fellow wouldn’t have anything to do with the Czech mafia. Or would they….
  16. sam Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 7:42 pm I’m thinking about coming to ACS Boston. If I do, I’ll come hang out for sure!
  17. milkshake Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 7:48 pm Swede mercenary hordes had plundered Bohemia terribly, and laid waste to half of its capital less than four centuries ago. They got renowned for looting everything that was not bolted to the floor; what was they unbolted – they loaded even the limestone statues and carted them off. One simply cannot forgive, not in such a short period of time.
    March 16th, 2007 at 9:28 pm The more Swedes the better.
  19. eugene Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 10:13 pm I thought you would have forgiven the Swedes when 300 years ago your fellow Slavics, the Russians, crushed them in St. Petersburg and forever quenched all Swedish hopes and dreams of Empire while killing their young and charismatic king in the process.

Unfortunately, they could never quite crush the Turks just as decisively, which on the other hand helped out my ancestors a bit.

20. Chemgeek Says:
    March 16th, 2007 at 11:50 pm Count me in. A BBQ would be awesome and potentially the start of a tradition.

But, will you boot me if I use poor grammar? Just kidding, of course. If PBR is involved, I will use the Queen’s English all night.

21. Anonymous Says:
    March 17th, 2007 at 4:44 pm Two important questions:

Is uncle al going?

Will there be fresh apple pie roasted slowly over the fire?

22. Wolfie Says:
    March 17th, 2007 at 7:59 pm if i don’t find a position in the developing US by then, I will have to go back to my beloved Heidelberg, sob, sob

hope i would get at least 2 points in your system, will you credit me ?

March 18th, 2007 at 9:08 am #21: You have insider information on one of my specialties. And Uncle Al would be the life of the party. Wolfie’s even welcome to come.

The rules of grammar will be suspended for the night, but remember:
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    NO DICE!

24. Michael G Says:
    March 19th, 2007 at 3:24 pm Did I just pick up on a secret Fu Manchu fan there or was that quote just a coincidence, Paul?
    March 20th, 2007 at 10:37 am I actually stole that one from my favorite movie of all time: Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  26. sam Says:
    August 9th, 2007 at 12:54 pm hey, was there ever a finalized plan for this?
  27. Everyday Scientist » acs boston Says:
    August 9th, 2007 at 12:56 pm […] I’ll be there, in the “Single Molecule Spectroscopy, Imaging and Manipulation of Biomolecular Systems” sessions. Paul at ChemBark thinks he’ll go. […]
  28. eugene Says:
    August 15th, 2007 at 12:27 pm Hay, it’s Wednesday already. Better get with the details of this awesome party. Unless… you chikened out. What are you… chicken? Eh, McFly?